Join the Cleveland Clinic team, where you will work alongside passionate caregivers and provide patient-first healthcare. Cleveland Clinic is recognized as the No. 4 hospital in the nation, according to the U.S. and World News Report. At Cleveland Clinic, you will work alongside passionate and dedicated caregivers, receive endless support and appreciation, and build a rewarding career with one of the most respected healthcare organizations in the world.
As an Anesthesia Specialist, you will perform a variety of duties related to and involving the processing and preparing of room, equipment and supplies for the patients undergoing anesthetic procedures.
Cleveland Clinic provides what matters most: career growth, delivering world-class care to our patients, continuous learning, exceptional benefits and working for an organization that offers many long-term career paths. Join us and experience a culture where opportunities to advance and the support to get there go hand-in-hand.
- Appropriately stocks the carts and surgical suites with the required supplies as outlined on the anesthesia surgical suite stock par list.
- Assist with difficult airway management by assisting with equipment needs from the providers.
- Assists in the delivery of blood samples to the lab and retrieval of blood products.
- Assists with lines and specialty room set-ups.
- Disassembles, decontaminates and sterilizes anesthesia equipment and supplies. Report equipment problems to the management team.
- Performs Point of Care (POCT) testing procedures, after an initial approved competency has been completed.
- Effectively communicates with anesthesia and operating room staff to assure daily operating room assignments are prioritized at the start of each shift. Remains accessible in operating rooms at all times.
- Efficiently transports all anesthesia related equipment and supplies to and from outside of Operating Rooms off-site locations.
- Maintains complete and accurate records and checks status of orders and equipment
- Maintains an adequate supply of all stock items in work room and keeps the work room clean and in an orderly condition.
- Maintains anesthesia supplies by establishing inventory levels; requisitioning supplies; restocking supply
- Maintains equipment by preparing, testing, and setting up a variety of anesthetic equipment for surgical use; troubleshooting equipment for problems or repairs; performing preventative maintenance and routine cleaning.
- Participates in turning over rooms assuring minimal downtime between cases.
- Retrieves and appropriately distributes the equipment necessary to prepare a patient for anesthesia. This includes specialty equipment for invasive lines and monitoring, difficult airway, and pediatric procedures.
- Retrieves, carries, and appropriately distributes necessary medications to the Anesthesiologist, CRNA, or AA for the preparation or care of a patient for anesthesia.
- Supports the anesthesia provider by setting up IV's
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Successful completion of Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA) required within new hire period.
Competencies (Complexity of Work):
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum of one year experience working in a healthcare setting or successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program or similar healthcare-related training program. Direct patient care and/or surgical/OR environment experience preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred. Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, or PowerPoint preferred
- Extended periods walking, standing, lifting and carrying equipment (usually not over 20 lbs.).
- Capable of pushing and maneuvering equipment weighing up to 150 pounds. May be exposed to bodily fluids.
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.