The GAMMA Platform team within Endeavour has an exciting opportunity for a Firmware Engineer. In this position you will work directly with the research & development group and participate in firmware development cycles across all product lines for GAMMA's product suite. We are looking for an innovator and leader who will help shape the cutting-edge, distributed, Internet-of-things application stack design at GAMMA.
The Firmware Engineer needs to be agile, professional, and comfortable in a rapidly changing environment. The right person is trustworthy with confidential information, highly organized, self-motivated, has excellent communication skills, can think strategically, and works well independently and within a team. GAMMA values efficiency and strives to maintain smooth operations.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Architect and design robust and real-time embedded software and firmware for utility, power, and telecom equipment for distributed IoT applications
- Develop networking firmware and APIs for distributed embedded systems and electrical power products
- Optimize code performance and robustness
- Implement, test, and troubleshoot firmware/embedded software on hardware prototypes
- Collaborate in firmware development tasks with the software team
- Work closely with the hardware & systems engineering teams to support product development, documentation, test procedures and maintenance cycles
- Plan and perform firmware/embedded software update, version control, and diagnostics
- Help validate firmware/embedded software for hardware prototypes
- Participate in design reviews and brainstorming
- Take ownership of designs, and manage individual tasks, deadlines, and deliverables
- Travel for 5-10% of the time
Skills & Requirements
Education / Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent, (preferred).
- 2-5 years of experience in embedded firmware/software development, real-time controls, system software for embedded electronics, networking equipment, robotics, or equivalent.
- Experience with -
- Microcontrollers, Micro-Processors, DSP, and standard peripheral components
- SPI, CAN, RS-232, EMIF, EDMA, HPI, I2C, serial UART, and similar protocols
- High speed external memory interfaces like eMMCs, DDR3 and interconnects like PCIe, ethernet switches etc.
- Embedded peripherals like Programmable Real-Time Unit and Industrial communication subsystems (PRU-ICSS), ADCs, DACs, RTC, etc.
- TCP/IP, Modbus, DNP3, WebSocket and other communication protocols.
- Short-range and other IoT networking protocols like Bluetooth/BLE, Zigbee, Wi-Fi, LoRa, ISM-band RF, etc.
- Multi-core systems, ARM-Cortex A series Micro-Processor units (MPUs).
- Experience in developing boot manager and boot loader systems.
- Hands on experience with embedded Linux based systems.
- Familiarity with TI CCS Platform and similar IDEs.
Specific Skills / Abilities
- Strong skills in computer networks and API development
- Strong skills in real-time, embedded software architecture, and C/C++ programming
- Deep understanding of real-time operating systems on multi-core platforms, inter-core communication, data exchange and interrupts
- Proven track record of developing modular and maintainable code
- Ability to test and troubleshoot the code on physical hardware prototypes
- Experience in developing code in an agile, production environment
- Ability to interface with cloud and backend developers to develop networking solutions for embedded systems
- Collaborate and communicate complex technical concepts
- Ability to read electrical schematics
- Proficient in documentation of software code
- Work in a dynamic, diverse, and multicultural, and cross-functional team
- Knowledge of version control (Git)
- Experience with OTA and remote firmware updates and building CI/CD pipelines for embedded products
- Knowledge of Yocto build configurations and custom Linux distributions
- Experience with distributed databases
Great Place to Work
- A fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture focused on innovation
- A flexible, autonomous work environment
- A culture of respect, learning, and excellence
- Experienced, highly talented experts as team peers
- Growth and travel opportunities
- Be part of a team of change-makers having a significant impact on real people around the world
The GAMMA Platform team is developing a plug-and-play framework for monitoring and controlling the power grid. The GAMMA framework consists of low-cost edge-computing nodes that can interface with geo-dispersed assets and work autonomously. The smart nodes can work in bandwidth constrained environments, using flexible communication pathways to the GAMMA backend. The GAMMA product lines revolve around solutions for grid monitoring, control and automation that can help to optimize grid operations as the adoption of distributed energy resources, such as solar, batteries, and electric vehicles, grows dramatically. The GAMMA product team consists of engineers who are seeking creative, motivated team members to help them take innovative ideas and turn them into tangible solutions.
GAMMA is part of Endeavour, a purpose-built company taking on global challenges to guarantee renewable energy and clean water to everyone, everywhere by decentralizing infrastructure, developing new technologies, and deploying energy, water, and waste treatment solutions that are more profitable than those that currently exist. Endeavour companies are made up of passionate change-makers who want to leave the world better than the way we found it. Today, Endeavour is deploying solutions that are immediately scalable and profitable, including grid monitoring, EV charging, data center cooling, and waste to fuel systems. As we look to the future, Endeavour and GAMMA intend to remain at the forefront of innovation, taking on grander challenges based on the needs of our clients and of local economies.
Position: Firmware Engineer
Full-Time or Part-Time: Full-Time
Reports to: Electrical Engineer
Location: Hybrid, Atlanta, GA