Join Cleveland Clinic's Fairview Hospital, founded in 1892, where we are a fully accredited hospital by The Join Commission. Fairview Hospital is a community hospital with 488 licensed beds and was recently awarded the No.4 hospital among Cleveland hospitals and No. 5 hospital in Ohio. At Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital, our patients have access to our strong clinical Centers of Excellence which includes Heart, Cancer, Birthing, Surgery, and our certified Level II Trauma Center.
As a Laboratory Technician, you will be responsible for specific laboratory specimens, orders, and information disposition. You will be performing and demonstrating an understanding of laboratory testing as well as technical and procedural problem solving. Working closely with our collaborative team, you will perform specimen investigation procedures to resolve lab specimen issues or problems. Your primary duties will include:
- Organizing, prioritizing and coordinating receipt and delivery of lab specimens.
- Performing laboratory testing while following correct policies.
- Performing cleanliness and preventative maintenance on instruments and equipment.
- Properly preparing specimens for analysis, transport and distribution.
The Ideal Candidate is someone who:
- Shows strong critical thinking skills.
- Comes prepared and willing to learn on a daily basis.
- Can work under minimal supervision and show decisive judgement.
- Works well in stressful situations.
- Currently is certified as a Medical Technologist (MT) or eligible preferred.
Cleveland Clinic provides what matters most: career growth, delivering world-class care to our patients, continuous learning, exceptional benefits and working for an organization that offers many long-term career paths. Join us and experience a culture where opportunities to advance and the support to get there go hand in hand.
- Coordinates prioritization, receipt and delivery of laboratory specimens.
- Verifies accurate documentation relative to specimen processing.
- Accepts or rejects specimens according to established standards and performs specimen investigation procedures to resolve lab specimen issues or problems.
- Prepares specimens for analysis; aliquots, transports and distributes specimens.
- Maintains tracking information for specimens.
- Maintains instrumentation and equipment along with its cleanliness.
- Performs preventive maintenance and record keeping procedures.
- Maintains appropriate workstation supplies and inventory.
- Maintains patient, specimen and tracking data using laboratory computer system.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree or equivalent.
- Three years of progressive lab experience may substitute for required education.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum one year experience in similar role.
- Bachelor's degree in a laboratory-based major may substitute for 1 year of lab work experience.
- Typical physical demands include visual acuity and the ability to distinguish colors; manual dexterity to handle specimens and repair equipment; may require extended periods of sitting, standing and walking.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.