Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® - to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Vacation - 3 weeks of accrued vacation (1st yr is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 floating holidays + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match of 5%
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Main Purpose of Role :
- Responsible for the overall results for a single shift of a 7-day, multi-shift laboratory operation. Coordinate activities for the shift team to ensure delivery of all key performance metrics, including those in Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), Quality, Finance, Productivity and People. Lead efforts required to deliver quality and compliance performance for the shift. Initiate, manage, and make decisions which impact product quality. Manage budget accountability for headcount, overtime (OT), and direct expenses for a shift and/or line. Track, trend and continuously improve budgetary performance for headcount, OT, direct expenses, lab efficiencies, scrap and Cost Improvement Projects (CIPs). Drive lab efficiencies and Master Schedule Performance (MSP) objectives; understand drivers and develop and execute plans around improvement of lab performance and quality metrics. Understand all key performance indicators; develop, drive and lead the execution of plans through utilization and involvement of team and support resources. Drive a culture of engagement through the team and department. Directly supervise team and participate in staffing activities. Develop all line personnel; secure appropriate training, provide mentoring and assign progressively challenging responsibilities within the scope of the team and department accountabilities.
Main Responsibilities :
- Model behaviors that support a continuously improving EHS culture; engage with employees and other key stakeholders to ensure all EHS requirements are met, inclusive of internal and external regulatory objectives and direction. Coach and direct individuals to deliver EHS performance for themselves, their team, and department.
- Prepare for and actively participate in internal and external EHS audits and incident/accident investigation and reporting, and the timely implementation of Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPAs).
- Model behaviors that ensure delivery of high-quality products for our customers while maintaining compliance with Abbott, division, and plant policies and procedures; meet all local and statutory requirements, and adhere to the regulatory requirements of countries to which products are shipped.
- Prepare for and actively participate in internal and external Quality audits and incident investigation and reporting, and the timely implementation of CAPAs.
- Lead the operation of the plant microbiology QA laboratories, comprised of the following functions:
a. Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP), including equipment swabs, air samples, retort cooling water, ingredient water, and product samples.
b. Biochemical characterization and identification.
c. Raw material, in process, and finished product testing.
d. Methods and procedures are appropriately followed.
e. CAPA activities are followed through to completion.
- Provide direction and technical expertise to microbiology laboratory personnel and to the plant.
- Provide leadership during problem-solving situations related to microbial issues.
- Model a thorough understanding of what drives product costs, profitability and cash flow for the shift and within the department, while operating within budget, material utilization, and CIP goals. Manage budget accountability for headcount, OT, and direct expenses for a shift and/or line. Track, trend and continuously improve budgetary performance for headcount, OT, direct expenses, scrap, and CIPs.
- Understand financial statements, key performance measures, and provide input for all line budgetary decisions. Develop the skills necessary to manage financial budgetary line items involving headcount, OT, and scrap reduction. Share in the preparation of the annual budget and updates.
- Financial accountability up to $ 2 MM USD.
- Promote and drive CIPs; utilize common problem-solving tools and methodologies in processes and procedures within the shift/operating line/department for root cause analysis and resolution of issues.
- Actively plan and organize the day-to-day laboratory operations and schedules.
- Anticipate and drive proper alignment and prioritization between the lab and production teams.
- Model the organization's values; provide effective leadership, direction, development and support to the team.
- Ensure team members are trained and understand duties, responsibilities, and performance relative to established expectations.
- Provide timely coaching, counseling and feedback.
- Develop all line personnel; secure appropriate training, provide mentoring and assign progressively challenging responsibilities within the scope of the team and department accountabilities.
- Draft own goals, and lead the development of team goals and growth planning. Create a learning environment and support individuals learning and development plans.
- Ensure delivery of effective performance management while establishing and sustaining a positive work environment.
- Execute on-time performance reviews for direct reports.
- Establish a communications framework that ensures timely and relevant transfer of information across all levels and functional areas of the organization.
- Ensure compliance with all HR practices, policies and procedures.
- Effectively use rewards and recognition programs.
- Champion positive employee relations; maintain a high-profile presence on the floor, directly engage with employees, model regular and open communications, and encourage knowledge sharing and the open exchange of ideas.
- Ensure lab test results reflect compliance to plant, division, and corporate guidelines and procedures.
- Attend plant quarterly quality review meetings to communicate and oversee microbiological issues.
- Track capital requests for laboratory equipment and facilities.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's Degree - Science, Food Technology, Technical with 2 years in a laboratory experience in a regulated industry
- OR An equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory standards and requirements for infant formula and nutritionals.
- Some :
Good oral and written communication skills.
Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
Green Belt/Lean Six Sigma Tools.
Experience in a high-volume manufacturing support laboratory.
Demonstrated leadership skills.
Project planning tools and experience using them.
Plant financial understanding.
Experience working with and implementing CIPs.
- Substantial :
Computer skills (MS Office).
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at , on Facebook at and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.