Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Announced by Nintendo in January 2019, Retro Studios is currently in the midst of developing Metroid Prime 4 for the Nintendo Switch.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Implement new core technologies necessary to realize the vision of our games.
- Maintain existing codebase and support the wider development team in diagnosing problems and coming up with good solutions
- Optimization of Engine and Game Systems to take full advantage of target hardware and architecture.
- Research coding techniques and algorithms to keep current on technological developments and advancements in the game industry.
- Work with content and engineering partners to identify problems and identify new solutions where required
- Participate in development, optimization, and debugging of low-level systems like physics, animation, and memory management.
- Mentor junior or mid-level programmers as required.
This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Education: Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field required, or specific experience with video game programming.
- Excellent C/C++ skills
- Expertise in Physics, Animation, Memory or Audio systems
- Experience working on content processing pipelines for game engines
- Experience collaborating with engineers across multiple teams and features
- Experience working independently and to be self-directed
- Effective organization, time-management, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey technical information, both verbal and written to a wide range of audiences
- 7+ years of experience in game development and shipped multiple AAA games
- Strong hardware and software architecture knowledge
- Experience with optimizing network and file I/O performance
- Experience with crash dumps and disassembly.
Retro Studios is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a welcoming and inclusive environment in service to one another, our products, the diverse consumers we represent, and the communities we call home. We do all of this with kindness, empathy and respect for each other.