Our client is a family run business, spanning nearly 100 years specialising in the production of various formats of bedding, basket, and perennial plants. Growing over 50 million bedding plant plugs each year for professional growers and parks departments throughout the UK, they sow, root, and grow all their own bedding, basket and perennial plants using their own experienced team. The company are an accredited grower under the British Ornamental Plant Producers and are dedicated to producing the finest quality plants, primarily pot plant plugs, contract bedding, poinsettias, and garden centre flowering plants to transport directly to nurseries in the shortest possible time. As a company they are constantly upgrading their knowledge base and travel worldwide sourcing new and improved varieties that will perform in the UK environment. They hold annual internal comparative trials at the nursery, and their own on-site garden centre gives an opportunity to showcase and trial new products at retail level. A Technical Grower is now required to work with the Head Grower on a permanent full-time basis, offering an excellent development opportunity for someone with an existing skill set and experience in a similar role.
This Technical Grower will assist the head grower and the Directors and must have experience in all aspects of similar crop production and a good knowledge of composts, fertilisers, watering and pests and diseases. The job involves constantly monitoring our crops and growing them to the highest quality, displaying good knowledge of seed and cutting production. Responsibilities of the successful candidate will include:
- Assistance to the Head Grower with the forward planning and management of the nursery
- Purchasing of all stock and sundries required for nursery operations
- Leading teams on growing related tasks to timescale and agreed standards
- Pest, disease and quality control
- Ensuring the team are working safely and complying with relevant legislation
- Liaising with the company owners and the sales team to ensure relevant paperwork is up to date
- Use and management of crop protection chemicals and PGRs, among other related tasks as they arise.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience at a high level in a commercial nursery environment and has a passion for horticulture. Applicants should hold an academic horticultural qualification as well as demonstrable experience in an associated role on a similar scale.
- Most processes are computer controlled, from environmental computers to bespoke software for accurate plug production and dispatch so a good IT knowledge is essential.
- Relevant qualifications and training and experience in commercial greenhouse production.
- Knowledge of growing bedding plants, perennials, and poinsettias
- An understanding of growing from seed and propagating cutting material.
- Knowledge of the process of optimum germination techniques is essential likewise for rooting a diverse range of ornamental bedding and basket plants.
- Experience in managing a team, whilst improving quality and running the business more efficiently.
- Good organisational skills are essential in order to manage schedules and ensure product specifications are met on time.
If this Technical Grower vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Bevan Andrews.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Technical Grower vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Technical Grower vacancy will have been unsuccessful.